Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Midlife Crisis

This isn't too personal, but I really feel like when I turned 30 that I started going through a midlife crisis, i.e. a renewed focus on the gym, wanting to get a bullet bike, etc.

Here's what wikipedia says about the matter:

For the approximately 10% of middle aged adults who go through an age-related midlife crisis, the condition is most common ranging from the ages of 35-50 (a large study in the 1990s[5] found that the average age at onset of a self-described midlife crisis was 46). Mid life crises last about 3-10 years in men and 2-5 years in women.

A midlife crisis could be caused by aging itself, or aging in combination with changes, problems, or regrets over:

  • work or career
  • spousal relationships
  • maturation of children
  • aging or death of parents
  • physical changes associated with aging

Midlife crises seem to affect men and women differently. Researchers[6] have proposed that the triggers for mid-life crisis differ between men and women, with male mid-life crisis more likely to be caused by work issues.

Some have hypothesized that another cause of the male mid-life crisis is the imminent menopause of the female partner and end of her reproductive career.[7] This renews the need for the man to attract younger women.

Individuals experiencing a mid-life crisis are said to have some of these feelings:

  • search of an undefined dream or goal
  • a deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished
  • desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness
  • need to spend more time alone or with certain peers

They are said to exhibit some of these behaviors:

  • abuse of alcohol
  • conspicuous consumption -- acquisition of unusual or expensive items such as clothing, sports cars, jewellery, gadgets, tattoos, motorbikes, etc.
  • depression
  • paying special attention to physical appearance
I don't abuse alcohol, sometimes I have conspicuous consumption (more like binges of sugar loaded food products), there's the motorbike. Sometimes I feel depressed and I definitely have paid special attention to physical appearance lately.

I also was released from the Bishopric, got a new career, bought a new house and all my friends are going to be either moving or we're moving and will be leaving them behind.

I feel so sorry for my poor wife, she is so patient to put up with me. ;)

4 comments:

Lisa K said...

Dale, there's other ways to look cool without getting a bullet bike! I say get a big, safe Harley if you HAVE to get a motorcycle.

Tresca said...

really dale? it's like what i tell milo at least twice a week
"grow up and act your age"

lol

good luck with the bike, if you have to...

Dale said...

Yeah Tresca, thanks a lot for telling Mom!!!

Tresca said...

well SOMEONE had to! seriously dale, please don't get the bike. i know that you'd be fine, but i've got a friend that was hit by a dumb ass driver not watching

plus, do you plan on driving this on the freeway?

get the bike, just don't drive it on the freeway

psycho.

well, just get good life insurance then.